Artist in Mixed Media Mosaic Collage and Jewelry

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

FROM THE IDAHO STUDIO of CHARLEEN MARTIN






CABIN BY THE LAKE   ~  SOLD

5 x 7" Acrylic on Textured Wood Panel

This panel is not nearly as textured as the last 2 pieces I showed here  (Dear October, I love how you dress ... and  Winter at Broken Limb Falls) but definitely has enough to add interest to the Painting.   




We recently went for a drive so I could take some reference photos of the Tamaracks changing colors.  I had never heard of a Tamarack until I moved West (They are also called Western Larch).  A Tamarck is a 'deciduous Conifer'.  Very confusing to a lot of People.  Deciduous and Conifer are mutually exclusive ... except when it comes to the Tamarack.  It looks like an Evergreen.  It has needles like an Evergreen.  It has cones like an Evergreen.   But, unlike other Evergreens, its needles change color (from green to gold) and then drop off only to come back the following Spring.  

I took the above photo because it seemed like such a paradox to me. Out enjoying the beautiful Fall colors on all the trees around us and then right ahead of us ... that beauty cut and loaded onto a truck. It didn't seem quite right.  Yes, I know we need the jobs, etc. etc. I am probably a little more sensitive to all this at the moment because they are 'clear-cutting' on one of the mountains up behind us.  (They just came up over the ridge this past week and we can already see a big bare spot from our home)   I didn't think that was allowed anymore but that just shows you what I know! :(  

Below are Tamarcks that have already changed color and started losing their 'needles.  


Almost spooky looking aren't they?! 

Hope your November is going well!
 Charleen

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.
~  Carl Rogers








No comments:

Post a Comment